Building of the Supreme Court
The Supreme Court returned to Brno in 1993, and the former General Pension Institute building on Burešova Street was selected to become its seat. This building was constructed on the site of the former Brandt Factory according to a design by Emil Králík, professor of the Czech Technical University, Brno. On 20 September 1932 administrative offices were opened in the building. After WW II, several institutions took turns occupying the building. In the 1960s, the Regional Committee of the Communist Party moved in. To meet its needs, in 1986 the Regional Committee added on to the building a crass attic designed by M. Steinhauser, which considerably altered the appearance of the structure. At the same time, a wing comprising a tiered assembly hall was added to the courtyard. In the early 1990's, the office of the Rector and Institute for Computing Technology of the Masaryk University moved in for a short period of time. Finally, on 10 September 1993, the building, which is listed in the state record of cultural monuments, was ceremonially handed over to the use of the Czech Supreme Court.